In 1945, on the basis of Indochina University, Vietnam National University was established. From 1956, University of Hanoi and Hanoi University of Education had been established, directly inheriting the traditions and facilities of Indochina University (1906), Vietnam National University (1945) and University of Fundamental Science (1951). At that time, there was a Faculty of Foreign Languages at the Hanoi Pedagogic University, which later developed into Hanoi College of Foreign Languages and Education.
Faculty of French Language and Culture belonging to University of Foreign Languages and International Studies, Vietnam National University, Hanoi, was formerly the Faculty of French at Hanoi College of Foreign Languages and Education, which was established in 1962 and being the first French-language education institution in the history of Vietnamese higher education.
Architectural complex at Vietnam National University, Hanoi is an interlace of old and new elements. Old architectural units are scattered in the campus between three institutions: Vietnam National University, Hanoi – University of Foreign Languages and International Studies – Hanoi National University of Education at the intersection of Xuân Thủy and Phạm Hùng streets of Cầu Giấy district.
For the Faculty of French Language and Culture, French architect(s) had experimented with the use of local materials like terra cotta as well as the layout of indigenous spaces with lakes–houses–gardens.
This is one of 36 architecture projects in Ghé 01 architecture book, published by Handhome in September 2018.
Order book to view more photos and other projects at Handhome’s shop: